Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Arts and Culture: FIDM

On Saturday I headed up to LA to visit the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising's 18th Annual Art of Motion Picture Design Exhibition. The exhibit features costumes from recent movies, including An Education (my favorite movie of 2009), The Duchess, The Last Station, and many more films. The best single work was from Where the Wild Things Are. FIDM had the actual characters in their enormous, colorful, hairy glory. My favorite single article of clothing was from the movie Pirate Radio. It was an INSANELY GREAT black and white asymmetric cape with a high funnel collar. I wanted to steal it.

I recommend checking out the FIDM blog. It is not updated nearly enough to satisfy my curiosity, but it does contain high-quality images of actual garments from a range of time periods.

It is also worth visiting the book store. I bought Liberace: Your Personal Fashion Consultant. Obviously a necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment